Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

.png files with no background 5973

Newbie Posts: 1 *
.png files with no background
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:39:18 PM »
hi! i'm new to this software, but super excited to try it.

i've been trying to upload .png files so that the background isn't recognized by the colour selector but it still seems to be marking it as white and filling in so much space of the pattern with an unnecessary colour. is there a way for this to be updated/regulated?
Site admin Administrator Full Member Posts: 108 *****
Re: .png files with no background
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 11:52:07 AM »
Currently, transparent backgrounds are deleted and become effectively white stitches before the pattern is generated.

I have looked into this in the past, but generating patterns where transparent backgrounds are not filled in with stitches is not easily solved with PNG files. The main problem is that each pixel is not transparent or not, but a pixel has a transparency gradient called the alpha channel, which can range anywhere from 0 to 100%. With a transparency setting of 50%, the colors of a pixel will still be visible, but mixed for 50% with the background. Using a fixed white background while processing the alpha channel gives the least surprises for users converting a picture to a pattern, but unfortunately, generates a bunch of white stitches.