Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft! 2064

Newbie Posts: 3 *
Minecraft!
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
Hi!

I starting using Pic2Pat in the traditional way -- I wanted to make a cross-stitch based on a custom pattern. It worked great!

However, since then I've been using it almost exclusively in a somewhat non-standard way -- to make things in the video game Minecraft. For those who haven't played it, Minecraft is in many ways like collaborative cross-stitching. You and your friends enter a shared three-dimensional world and build things, with coloured blocks.

My first use of Pic2Pat was to make a gigantic portrait of my girlfriend in the game. It was huge -- it reached up past the cloud layer.

However, if there's one thing Minecrafters are good at doing, it's using features in non-standard ways. I soon discovered that people were making custom artwork to put on the walls of their houses by creating gigantic flat patterns on the landscape and then using the game's function to make a "map" of the area. This reduced your gigantic creation to a small, relatively high resolution object that you could hang on your wall in the game. Normally the game only offers a preset selection of simple paintings, so this was pretty exciting.

As a test, I re-created a Mondrian painting. I'm currently trying a larger work -- my favourite painting by Klee. When I'm done it (it should be today), I'll post a photo.

The only real trick to using Pic2Pat for this is that you have to assign materials to the floss colours offered, and it's sometimes hard to find a close match. I wonder if the creator of the software would ever consider creating a Minecraft "floss" set? The rest of the functionality could remain identical (unless you wanted to tweak certain elements to make it easier for Minecrafters -- for example, they will often want to make things in multiples of 128x128 stitches rather than in sizes chosen by inches and stitch density, since a map covers 128x128 blocks of territory in the game). If the colour list could output "hard red clay" instead of "Salmon Very Dark", that would be very handy.

The Minecraft community is huge and very avid!

Anyway, I'll show you a couple of pictures of stuff I've made in Minecraft using Pic2Pat soon. I might also upload my cross-stitch picture as well. :) Thanks for the wonderful site!
Newbie Posts: 1 *
Re: Minecraft!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 04:40:28 PM »
Wow, that's great!  My kids play Minecraft, I will show that to them.
Thank you for sharing your tips.   :)
Newbie Posts: 2 *
Re: Minecraft!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Hola,en el patron para bordar tengo ciertos simbolos que no estan en la lista de colores,necesito ayuda,tengo impresa los patrones pero no están en mi ordenador (falla tecnica)Gracias.
Maria Ines