Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Center 12573

Newbie Posts: 1 *
Center
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:53:24 PM »
I just got my first pattern and just have a few questions. I have been doing cross stich for over 20 years and just started to do the portraits but am hooked already. Being able to get the patterns for free is a dream come true. I did notice there are no arrows pointing to the middle which is where everyone starts. Maybe someone could tell me how to find the middle. Also, it doesn't say how many strands of floss. I always use 2 strands so I guess I will go with that unless I hear otherwise. Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.  ;D
Newbie Posts: 3 *
Re: Center
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 05:40:48 PM »
I know everyone says to start in the center, but I hardly ever do!  I stitch holding the projet in my hands, no hoop or anything else.  I find the center of the project, then stitch everything to the right of the center line, keeping the left side rolled up & clean, when I am done with the right side, I roll that up & work on the left side, that way the stitched right side is kept clean while I am stitching on the left.  As far as finding the center, just take the # of horizontal squares in your chart & divide by 2, count starting from the left until you hit the middle number, then I draw a red line on the chart.  Follow the same procedure when determining the vertical center.  I hope this information has helped you with your project.
Newbie Posts: 2 *
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 09:13:16 AM »
GREAT PLACE, THANK YOU :)

question for you, please? if i made a pattern on bigger format than letter (A4), and it is on few pages, is it possible to save it as a file which would print as a big picture, not several individual pages? how, please?

thanks
Newbie Posts: 2 *
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
I know everyone says to start in the center, but I hardly ever do!  I stitch holding the projet in my hands, no hoop or anything else.  I find the center of the project, then stitch everything to the right of the center line, keeping the left side rolled up & clean, when I am done with the right side, I roll that up & work on the left side, that way the stitched right side is kept clean while I am stitching on the left.  As far as finding the center, just take the # of horizontal squares in your chart & divide by 2, count starting from the left until you hit the middle number, then I draw a red line on the chart.  Follow the same procedure when determining the vertical center.  I hope this information has helped you with your project.

i do the darkest colors first, then proceed towards the lighter (they don't get dirty in the process)
Newbie Posts: 3 *
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »
Also, as a general rule you should have:

11-count aida - 3 strands
14-count aida - 2 or 3 strands
16-count aida - 2 strands
18-count aida - 1 strands
22-count hardanger - 1 strand

Though these numbers are approximate if there is something you want to stand out - use more, something you want to recede - use less.